Serpentine pas pump, won't bleed/no pressure?

General Chat About Steering.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Serpentine pas pump, won't bleed/no pressure?

Post by ihatesissycars »

No sooner do i sort one thing then another pops up!

I can't get my serp pas pump to work, there's no pressure? Is there a special way of bleeding these that i don't know about or is it fooked?

I've been approaching it in the traditional fashion, fill up the bottle, engine on, let it suck some fluid in until it settles then turn the wheel from lock to lock holding it on lock for a few seconds and topping up until it stays topped up. I've don't that but pas assistance!

V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Probably silly but is the Serp belt turning the pump the right way?

Depending on the belt configuration and placement of the pump you could turn it clockwise or anticlockwise

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

its definately on there the right way. I've looked at it some more and i think the relief valve in it is buggered, fluid just purs straight thru it with out resistance.

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

GOD DAMN F@$&ING BL**DY SHI£$Y CRAP STERING STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am i going mental? Put fluid in, let is suck some down and settle, start turning steering from lock to lock holding on lock for a few second and keep fluid level topped up and job jobbed? Not mine!

I can't figure it out, i've had the high pressure hose slackened off so it drips on its own but fire it up and it stops dripping, it should spray out in every direction not stop dripping!

Does anyone know what position the reservoir is in on a serp engines 3.9 rangie in relation to the pump? The only thing i can think of is that i don't have the reservoir high enough and it can't suck the fluid up out of it????

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Doing my head in now. . . . . . .

This is the last thing i need to sort before its on the road time.

I had the front of the car on stands today to bring the fluid bottle up alot higher than the pump and had it running for a few minutes trying to bleed it in a text book styleee, but had no luck again. . . . .

The top of my bottle is only an inch or so higher than the pump. The inlet on the pump from the bottle is pointing straight down which says to me it should be able to draw fluid upwards, would anyone agree?

The hose from the bottle to this inlet has to go down before going up into the pump so do you think its struggling to draw the fluid up into itself?

It would explain the fault i have however i do have fluid on the high pressure hose, alot as it pours out when undone.

Rack problem? It was only a few months old when i took the car off the road last time and working fine with the sd1 pump.

Help me please if you can!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Don't think it will pull fluid uphill very well but it isn't exactly really low. Is there no way even just temp you can get a longer hose on it and lift it above the pump completely? If nothing else it would prove or disprove that's its that at fault. These pumps are capable of running a normal rack aren't they? They were originally for a steering box but i have no idea if they can still run a rack or not.

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

I've just got back from doing that. I turned the inlet of the pump so its pointing directly upwards and mounted the bottle directly on top of that, no difference though. It really couldn't be in a better position. Its seems to take fluid down to a point then settle but no assistance at all though.

I tried swearing at it too but that made no difference either. . . . .

I once had a faulty rack that buggered up some how so that i had no assistance in one direction but fine the other, do you reckon i could have a similar problem now?

That rack wasn't that old and was replced with another under warranty for the one i have now.

One other thing, the bottle, if you pour fluid in it pours out just as fast from one of its unions underneith but nothing from the other. The one that it pours readily out of is the one i connected to the pump so as to offer no restriction of fluid to the pump.

Shall i buy a new rack do you reckon?

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

you have the pump going the right way?
and have you conected the pipes correctly from the rack to the pump?

when my rack was buggered the pump still worked, and you could see fluid circulating in the bottle
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

I can't not have the pump running the right way to be honest and ref the pipes one is a simple push on hose inlet held on by a jubilee clip and the other is a threaded hole with some proper sealing capabilities. I'm certain they're on the right way.

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Would it be worth dismantling the pump and packing it with vaseline as a long shot?

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

probably not now you know you have a head of fluid above the pump.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

gav,
have you fluid coming out the pressure pipe when pump turning at quite a rate? (rack end)
or does it trickle?
my sd1 pump gushes out when running.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

the pump has a feed and a return to the fill bottle? the pump has two pipes out to the rack to feed and return it ? u haven't by chance air locked the rack ? is there a bleed on the rack? or a pipe that can be cracked open? ..... not much use as i normally work on fork lifts
So thats where it went !

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Errr i've not had the bottle to take the hp hose off as i'd drench my engine bay! I did crack it off so that it was dripping when all was stationary but it did, rather oddly stop when running like that then commenced dripping once turned off again.

The pump has two unions, one a high pressure feed to the rack the other a gravity fed feed from the bottle, the rack returns to the bottle so the flow goes bottle, pump, rack, bottle and then pump again.

When its running theres no straining at all from the pump (like say if you were on full lock)

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

stops when running,
it should flow harder when running,
have you tried undoing the other union while running?
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

Return to “Steering Area”