Turbo coolant loop pick uppoints

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

pupp
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Turbo coolant loop pick uppoints

Post by pupp »

Single water cooled core to plumb in on a Serp RV8 - any perceived wisdom on best places to tee in for feed and return?

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Turbo coolant loop pick uppoints

Post by DEVONMAN »

pupp wrote:Single water cooled core to plumb in on a Serp RV8 - any perceived wisdom on best places to tee in for feed and return?
Hi.
A bit more info about your current plumbing would help but generally the feed could be teed off the heater supply hose and the return could be teed into the bottom hose or the tube that runs between the header tank and the rad,
Just to add, if your system struggles to keep cool at the moment, then it would be better not to put the return into the bottom hose.

Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

pupp
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by pupp »

Ok, thanks - it's a late 4.6 in a TVR and the basic configuration of the radiator side of the cooling system is pump > stat> swirl pot top > swirl pot bottom > rad top > through rad > rad bottom > return to pump.

On the engine side of the stat is a tee off to the heater and the heater returns into a tee between the bottom hose and the pump (ie water can circulate to the heater regardless of whether stat open).

As I want the turbo loop to thermo siphon as well as pump, I'm thinking maybe take the feed from the heater return tee (ie between rad bottom and pump return) > turbo core > uphill to tee in between header bottom and rad top (ie tee into top hose). Any views as to whether this will actually end up pumping hot water down through the turbo and bypass the radiator with the engine running? I'm thinking the physics and flow directions will pull the flow the right way when running too...

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

pupp wrote:Ok, thanks - it's a late 4.6 in a TVR and the basic configuration of the radiator side of the cooling system is pump > stat> swirl pot top > swirl pot bottom > rad top > through rad > rad bottom > return to pump.

On the engine side of the stat is a tee off to the heater and the heater returns into a tee between the bottom hose and the pump (ie water can circulate to the heater regardless of whether stat open).

As I want the turbo loop to thermo siphon as well as pump, I'm thinking maybe take the feed from the heater return tee (ie between rad bottom and pump return) > turbo core > uphill to tee in between header bottom and rad top (ie tee into top hose). Any views as to whether this will actually end up pumping hot water down through the turbo and bypass the radiator with the engine running? I'm thinking the physics and flow directions will pull the flow the right way when running too...
Based on my understanding of your proposed plumbing, the flow through the turbo will be downwards towards the bottom hose when the engine is running. Are you attempting to have thermal flow through the turbo when the engine is stopped? If so, the flow will be up towards the top hose (Turbo becomes the heat adder) which is the opposite to when the pump is running.

You probably will not get any pumped flow through the turbo when the thermostat is shut as you are then connecting to both the top and bottom hose with no real pump influence as your turbo is acting like a second rad in parallel.

On my twin turbo system I take the feed to the turbos from the heater feed pipe and the return from the turbo goes into the heater return pipe. All works fine.

Regards
Denis
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

pupp
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by pupp »

DEVONMAN wrote:
pupp wrote:Ok, thanks - it's a late 4.6 in a TVR and the basic configuration of the radiator side of the cooling system is pump > stat> swirl pot top > swirl pot bottom > rad top > through rad > rad bottom > return to pump.

Based on my understanding of your proposed plumbing, the flow through the turbo will be downwards towards the bottom hose when the engine is running. Are you attempting to have thermal flow through the turbo when the engine is stopped? If so, the flow will be up towards the top hose (Turbo becomes the heat adder) which is the opposite to when the pump is running.

You probably will not get any pumped flow through the turbo when the thermostat is shut as you are then connecting to both the top and bottom hose with no real pump influence as your turbo is acting like a second rad in parallel.

On my twin turbo system I take the feed to the turbos from the heater feed pipe and the return from the turbo goes into the heater return pipe. All works fine.

Regards
Denis
Thanks Denis - that's right, the turbo loop is in parallel to the radiator and I'm happy enough that there will only be convection induced flow when the stat is closed. I'm pretty religious about fluid temps being up before play time so no biggie there. I'm interested why you think flow will through the turbo will reverese with the stat open however... way I see it (but am entirely open to being told it's wrong), is that the rush of pumped flow over the turbo return (into the rad top) should draw water heated by the turbo up and along with it... down through the rad is an easier route for the flow to take than down the turbo line against convection induced by the hot turbo. Similarly, the significantly cooler water from the rad bottom to the pump should (hopefully) get drawn into the turbo feed line to replace the hotter water being drawn/convecting up (a Y rather than a T here might encourage uptake)?

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

The coolant will flow from a high pressure point to a low pressure point.
The low pressure point is near the inlet to the pump, (ie bottom hose).
The top hose will be at a higher pressure and a connection to the top hose will divert some coolant away from the rad and take it straight to the bottom hose (Through the turbo)

Regards Denis

Return to “Forced Induction”