Rover v8twin turbo timing settings

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Rover v8twin turbo timing settings

Post by mcmental »

Right folks I need to set the timing on my car now I've come back to it after a few months break,what settings would you recommend?

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

Bit more info would help.

Boost
Cam
Compression
Engine size
Head work
What ignition, MS or standard or something else
Fuelling, efi or carb

Or just keep advancing it until she blows and then back it off a touch.....however I dont recommend this method as it tends to be costly.

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

3.5 rover v8
Twin carbs
Max 8psi boost
Fuel king set at 4.5psi
Thicker head gaskets to drop comp down slightly

Car runs and drives ok and when revs get up it sets off like its ass is on fire,I'm just waiting on local rolling road to be installed then I can get it booked in,welding some extra length ont he exhausts as I'm not getting a true reading on the far gauge due to lambda being only 3" from the open end.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

1 degree of retard per pound of boost is a typical starting point. If the inlet charge is high (>40'c) then you may need to take more out, use 99ron or both.
I have megasquirt and therefore switchable maps - so i can dial some more ignition in if I'm using good fuel. To be honest out on the open road and switching between maps you cant really tell the difference, apart from the exhaust note becoming more raspy.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Eliot wrote:1 degree of retard per pound of boost is a typical starting point. .
:whs
38 degrees total @ 4000rpm and 1 degree of retard/psi

Second, is it blow trough or suck trough....???
As you say fuel king I suspect its suck trough as normal fuel kings do not raise fuel pressure 1 to 1 needed with blow trough systems.
Blow through should be 12-13psi fuel pressure under your max boost. ( Pump should be adequate to deal with that to..)
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

yes its suck through, i will have a fiddle with the timing tonight i think.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

"Car runs and drives ok and when revs get up it sets off like its ass is on fire,I'm just waiting on local rolling road to be installed then I can get it booked in"
sounds like it is about right for the moment, leave it alone until it is on the rolling road and you can map it there.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

kiwicar wrote:"Car runs and drives ok and when revs get up it sets off like its ass is on fire,I'm just waiting on local rolling road to be installed then I can get it booked in"
sounds like it is about right for the moment, leave it alone until it is on the rolling road and you can map it there.
Best regards
Mike
Awesome!!! T'was fun when I had it .... all those yrs ago lol.

And yes I still have the turbo info I just haven't gotten round to sending it, PM me your address again and I'll try to sort it ....
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

Fozwanger
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Fozwanger »

When we set mine up at race shack they set the timing as per John (I think it was at real steel that used to build them) as 28 deg (almost stock?) give the best results. We also had to run it so rich that it fouled up on tick over but the AFM at 6000 rpm was 12.8% (if my memory serves me correctly) It was a smidge under the recommended or perfect AFM at WOT and 8 psi boost but gave a solid 200HP and 200 lb/ft at the wheels!!!!! Not bad for a stock SD1 motor!!!!

Once you've had FI you'll never go back. I loved the way mine almost exploded when it came up on boost and fried the hides in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th and the back tyres were 15" wide and 31" tall!!!!!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

The stock Vitesse engine has 220 ft.lb of torque at the flywheel.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Fozwanger
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Fozwanger »

And about 160 at the wheels

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

Fozwanger wrote:When we set mine up at race shack they set the timing as per John (I think it was at real steel that used to build them) as 28 deg (almost stock?) give the best results. We also had to run it so rich that it fouled up on tick over but the AFM at 6000 rpm was 12.8% (if my memory serves me correctly) It was a smidge under the recommended or perfect AFM at WOT and 8 psi boost but gave a solid 200HP and 200 lb/ft at the wheels!!!!! Not bad for a stock SD1 motor!!!!

Once you've had FI you'll never go back. I loved the way mine almost exploded when it came up on boost and fried the hides in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th and the back tyres were 15" wide and 31" tall!!!!!
I'm going to get it sorted very shortly I'm in the process of moving at minute,after new year it will be sorted Jeff.

Fuel injection sounds like a cunning master plan :twisted:

Return to “Forced Induction”