Brake Pipe Flaring

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Brake Pipe Flaring

Post by topcatcustom »

Hey, I've got a very good pipe flaring tool from Snap On, although I can't find it at all on their site or Google now. It performs perfectly on copper pipe although I am using kunifer now, and it's hit and miss as to whether I get a good flare or not. I've had loads of practice, and there is no rhyme or reason that I can tell to why it is better some times.

Question is- unless anyone has any advice how to get a perfect flare every time (I can on copper so a bit lost), is it worth me annealing the ends once I have flared them to soften them up so they will definitely seal better when nipped up? I imagine it can be harder to get kunifer to seal as well as copper if the ends are not 100% perfect.

- here's the type of tool it is-

TC

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Post a photo of the bad flare.

With that tool, you should be able to make perfect flares on copper, kunifer or steel with ease every single time.

Often you need to expose more of the bare pipe through the die than the instructions suggest, bit it can depend. But I'm only talking a very small amount more.

And make sure you're doing the Op1 and Op2 in the correct sequence if doing a double flare.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Tom
I have one almost identical to that and never have a problem.
Is the kunifer pipe old?
You might have a bad coil of it.

P

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

It's brand new kunifer, brand new tool, op1 followed by op2.

I've tried every combination of pipe protruding from dies, from flush or less with the die to sticking out right up to the tooling in approx 0.5mm increments.

As mentioned, copper pipe is a treat, beautiful flares every time, but the kunifer crinkles on a couple of sides usually, it's like it doesn't want to stretch.

I'll get a pic or 2 of some dodgy ones when I get a chance.
TC

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

It isnt stretching as such, more getting squashed.

When in the tool...it really doesnt have much choice..it's going to get squashed !

It's been many years since I used the old Sykes tool...but it really is THE tool for brake pipe flares.

Whether or not the copies of it are up the the same standard though, I couldnt say.

Even the hand held Flaremaster stuff is excellent in copper or kunifer.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Stevie I meant the sides of the pipe are stretched as it is forced to bulge outwards to make the donut shape of op1. The tool is well made, clamps never slip and dies look good but it's like the kunifer is not good for forming!
TC

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

I found this...
i use a Sykes Pickavant tool but i've used them all and had good results, Just keep the tool tip lubricated
I'd agree with keeping things well oiled as the stress of working the metal will all weaken it a little and that could be contributing to the failures you are having.
Cheers,
John

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Tom
have you tried softening/aneeling the pipe, you may have a batch that has sat on the shelf for years and age hardened or it was never done properly at the factory, chop a length off give it a try, see what happens. As the others say oil it.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but concerning the "left on a shelf" comment, and as I'll need to do a load of brake pipes myself soon, where is the best place to buy kunifer pipe from? Any recommendations to make sure people don't end up with aged pipe, etc.?

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I cant see old pipe being an issue. If it was on the car for 10 years and you needed to remake an end....well, it just works. So that old pipe is ok.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

volospian wrote:Don't mean to hijack the thread, but concerning the "left on a shelf" comment, and as I'll need to do a load of brake pipes myself soon, where is the best place to buy kunifer pipe from? Any recommendations to make sure people don't end up with aged pipe, etc.?
Don't think such things 'work harden' simply by being on the shelf - or at least over a reasonable time scale. It's usually things like heating and cooling and vibration which cause this.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

volospian wrote:Don't mean to hijack the thread, but concerning the "left on a shelf" comment, and as I'll need to do a load of brake pipes myself soon, where is the best place to buy kunifer pipe from? Any recommendations to make sure people don't end up with aged pipe, etc.?
I got mine from Car Builder Solutions
Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

What you cutting the pipe to length with ? i found that some of the tube cutters left a burr on the inside and occasionally gave me problems. I now deburr the i.d. by hand burr like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAND-COUNTERS ... 589d0fa857
So thats where it went !

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

most rotary pipe cutters have a debur tool on the top ( at least my cheapy one does )
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

My flaring tool has a 45 degree cutter which put a slight chamfer on the outside of the tube before you put in into the flaring tool.
Naturally deburring the inside of the tube is important also to ensure a good flare.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”