Spring rates

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Spring rates

Post by marcjagman »

Can anyone here give me a rough estimate of what springs I may need for my car? Got a RV8 and will weigh around 800kgs. Looking for a comfy ride. I was thinking of spring rates of about 250lb for the front and around 130lb for the rear, what do you chaps think?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I have a few books with formulae in for calculating spring rates, but I will need alot more information. . . . Firstly what type of suspension set up is it front and rear. Actually lets start there and once I know I will ask you to make some measurments and we go from there.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
I have a few books with formulae in for calculating spring rates, but I will need alot more information. . . . Firstly what type of suspension set up is it front and rear. Actually lets start there and once I know I will ask you to make some measurments and we go from there.
Best regards
Mike
Coilovers on front, 9" free length springs 2.25 ID. Rears are coilovers, 14" long 2.25 ID.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

marcjagman wrote:
Best regards
Mike
Coilovers on front, 9" free length springs 2.25 ID. Rears are coilovers, 14" long 2.25 ID.
That isnt enough.

What type of suspension is it ?

Macpherson struts, double wishbone ? Where is the spring mounted ? What angle is it mounted ?
If wishbone, where on the bottom arm does the spring act ?

Leverage will have a huge impact on springs required as will overall suspension travel.

Corner weights at present would be a big help too or if you knew that and how far the current springs are compressed at normal ride height, and their poundage.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

stevieturbo wrote:
marcjagman wrote:
Best regards
Mike
That isnt enough.

What type of suspension is it ?

Macpherson struts, double wishbone ? Where is the spring mounted ? What angle is it mounted ?
If wishbone, where on the bottom arm does the spring act ?

Leverage will have a huge impact on springs required as will overall suspension travel.

Corner weights at present would be a big help too or if you knew that and how far the current springs are compressed at normal ride height, and their poundage.
It's a coilover front and rear, front double wishbone (Triumph I think) mounted at the end close to the hub, 25 degrees from the vertical. No idea of corner weights. No suspension fittrd at the minute which is why I want to know what to fit.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Yup
Pretty sure that was what I was asking. . . Are we talking coil overs on twin wishbone suspension up front?? If so as Stevie says we need the length of the wishbones, the mounting distance down the wishbone for the coil over and what angle to the verticle they are mounted, and finally the front scrub radius.
For the rear, a similar thing, distance out from the centre of the axel to the mounting point on the axel of the spring, the track of the rear wheels is there a anti roll bar? if the spring is not directly mounted on the axel, how is it mounted??
Sorry for all the questions, but is is all about leavers.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

Think I'll just buy the ones DAX recommend, they seem to know. 300lb front, 140lb rear. Locost owners and phaeton owners all seem to use about the same. Too much faffing about taking measurements, just want a comfy ride not hurl it around a track at 120mph.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I came to the same conclusion about measurements for mine. Although I bought a pair of test springs up front.

At least then once it's back on its wheels I will know exactly how much load is on each spring in order to make changes
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”