Throttle in a bottle!

General Chat About Nitrous Oxide.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Throttle in a bottle!

Post by Lewis »

So, you're sitting there at the lights. Alongside you, a brand new BMW pulls up, with the driver casting a derisory glance at your car, tutting to himself at how people are allowed to drive things like that in this day and age.....

"Right" you think, as the red mist descends, "that's it". You bring the engine up to 2500, flicking a dash mounted arming switch, simultaneously bringing online the progressive controller.

The light turns green.

You nail the pedal to the floor.

Your engine lets out a low pitched growl like Frankenstein's monster clearing its throat, steriods pumping through its intake system. The rear wheels cling vainly to the tarmac as the beast in the nose does everything it can to spin the world in the opposite direction but your brain is locked on - "KILL!" - and you keep that pedal glued to the floor.

The BMW flips into warp drive - backwards, into the distance. The driver hunkers behind his soft touch dashboard in utter terror - and you smile. Your foot backs off the pedal and the engine settles into its friendly, streetable manner and burbles happily as the last remenants of power-crazed fluid trickle through the injectors......

Normality is resumed. The onlookers are applauding and pretty girls are draping themselves over your bonnet. Another confirmed kill - One down, more to come.

.....But I digress. eBay again, has made me a happy boy and once again, I was the sole bidder on something I wanted.

A Wizards Of Nitrous kit, with billet pulsoids, bottle and a Maximiser progressive controller. Assuming it turns up :lol:

I'll do a full writeup when it comes to installing, testing, benching and installing bigger jets (not going to go over 50BHP on standard ignition system for the time being) but I'm just SO DAMNED EXCITED! 8-) The only thing that's depressing is I've still got 2 weeks left at uni :cry:

Now, I've got to find room for that centrifugal supercharger that's on eBay as well..................... :evil:

Soon to be adorned with more shiny bits (and a bit more kick). Needs a bloody good clean and a polish, mind...

Some other inspirational shots:

:lol:

An unedited version of the first story involved 3 melted valves, a damaged piston, one grenaded intake manifold and an embarrassed call to the RAC....but you had him....for a moment....

So anyway - Anyone got any good tips or things I should really pay attention to before I make any attempt at using it?

I'm thinking of running the noszle into the air trunking between plenum and AFM, with as short as possible hosing from the solenoids...Might replace the flexi item with a piece of silicon, so it's mounted properly :)

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Good buy Lewis! Swap the NOs system for Gaz's coil packs? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Beware the centrifugal superchargers on E-Bay UK where the seller has no feedback. There has been some sort of scam running for over a year with these products.

Cheers,

Ian

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Will do, thanks for the heads up 8-)

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Havent been on ebay for a while. That looks a good kit Lewis. What was the final / winning bid?

You wont go far wrong with the WON stuff mate.

IainB
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by IainB »

mgbv8 wrote:Havent been on ebay for a while. That looks a good kit Lewis. What was the final / winning bid?

You wont go far wrong with the WON stuff mate.
He got a bit of a bargain - were both watching the same bits :lol: (though Ive beaten him on the cheapness stakes slightly, getting my kit from 2 different sources! still need another set of pulsoids and a plate though :oops: )

Lewis - have a read over at the Highpower forums for the best position, I think Tony had a thread running where Trev gave a few ideas as to the best position

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Turned up today as well (much to my relief!)

All seems to be in order, of course, no real way of knowing till I test it a little bit.

Just have to get a gauge, maybe a blanket or heater, a bit of spare line to make up my own and a few other fitting bits :)

It's got 25BHP jets in it as well which makes for a nice starting point, not sure on the fuelling side though so will have to have a little look there.

Solenoids do have a bit of scratching on them (light) so I might look into putting new stickers on them, as it's only really marred the 'WON' logos. Still, minor fault.

Fun! Got a new style anodised gold maxflow valve as well! 8-)

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Lewis
I've got a good selection of jets from 25hp to 200hp if you want to have a try before you buy.

You will need to run smaller fuel jets if you are on EFI. Have you got Trevor Langfields book. If not, get it. It will be a big help on understanding how to get the best from your system. The book is around 15 quid, but you can borrow mine if you want.
A bottle heater is a must really. The system jets are sized to run at around 750 to 900 psi, and in the chilly mornings at the Pod you will struggle to warm the bottle up to the right pressure.

I've got some spre gold sticker for the pulsoids if you want to tart them up. But if you buy anything from WON, they will put some stickers in FOC if you ask.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

if i remember correctly my efi system gives a 3:1 ratio for my nitrous jetting.
what fuel pump you using lewis?
i used the standard rover efi pump and that struggled with 75bhp nitrous
i am now using a bosch motorsport pump,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Thanks mgbv8, really appreciate the offer! And thanks to all for the advice! Definitely going to look into a bottle heater as you say, and as is mentioned in the book, really helps towards having a reliable, effective system :)

I've got the book and have been studying it in-depth, with regards to jetting and mounting bottles. I'm going to do the test to find out what the maximum my fuel pump can supply is and work from there :)
what fuel pump you using lewis?
Good question. No idea :lol: It's a Range/Land Rover EFi item welded into my tank......Never looked.....yet.....I may change it anyway, partially to help with this but mainly just to get the best out of everything :)

Return to “Nitrous Oxide Area ”