AP Racing Monobloc Calipers - Formula 1

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

AP Racing Monobloc Calipers - Formula 1

Post by chodjinn »

Before I get shot down this is just a for instance, not an idea as such ... but I saw these babies on ebay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331029075899? ... 366wt_1179

Apart from the aesthetic and unquestionable abiltiy in the brake department, what's the chance of these being used on a road car, or fast road/track car? I've seen Formula 1 brake calipers fitted to the odd custom race/track car in the past (Liam Doran's RS200 has them for the Pikes Peak).

You can still get pads and parts for them, they fit relatively small disc diameters (circa 300mm), the only issue I can see is the lack of dust seals etc (well they are race calipers!). I just thought they looked great and are not actually bad for the money, compared to other AP caliper kits etc.

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
The only issue is exactly as you say, no seals, this is not a problem if they are maintained as intended,are you prepared to wash off the road salt every time after use? strip them once every 3000 miles or so to inspect them, most definatly replace the brake fluid every spring? I have racing brakes on my motorcycle That is fine for the amount it was used when I used the thing. They are nice brakes, but they are priced like that for a reason if you are happy with the maintanence then they are good value, if not save up for some with seals.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

That's what I figured mike cheers.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I wouldn't discount the brakes fitted to things like lexus, ford mondaos, Jag XJ, XK and S types Mercedes etc these modern standard brake calipers are very good value kit. The refurbished standard kit that offers a very high standard of stopping power at a briliant price. If you are OK cleaning it up yourself I can send you a set of Lexus 400 front calipers for the cost of the postage, they would need a strip clean and refurbish but I recon they would stop an MGb in pretty short order.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
I wouldn't discount the brakes fitted to things like lexus, ford mondaos, Jag XJ, XK and S types Mercedes etc these modern standard brake calipers are very good value kit. The refurbished standard kit that offers a very high standard of stopping power at a briliant price. If you are OK cleaning it up yourself I can send you a set of Lexus 400 front calipers for the cost of the postage, they would need a strip clean and refurbish but I recon they would stop an MGb in pretty short order.
Best regards
Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for the offer that's very generous but I'm currently sorted for brakes (sierra 2wd rear, Jag XJS fronts) and will be buying either an LS400 or Soarer complete car for engine/box/loom so will have a choice shortly enough!

The problem with OEM brake calipers is the weight, seriously my Jag XLS calipers must be about 10kg per side! These monoblocs are super lightweight with ti pistons etc. and would give huge savings in unsprung weight in any car versus pretty much any other brake option! Not a bad price either, considering what they are new!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I'm confused about these seals. The pistons on my SD1 become exposed as the pads wear - no dust seals. Lots were like that at one time. You just clean them before retracting when fitting new pads.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Dave
many have a seal inside the cylinder of the caliper, often an O ring but not always it can be stainless, the seal is not visible and is as you describe when viewed form the outside. True also some have no seals at all, however they are not made of Aluminium alloy and titanium, they generally are stainless steel pistons in hi chrome steel casting.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Ah - right. Have seen some designs where there is a dust cover over the piston.

Sadly, the SD1 pistons ain't stainless - chrome plated steel, and they rust eventually. Replacements can be had in SS, though.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”