Rover 4.6 to T5

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Markus

Rover 4.6 to T5

Post by Markus »

Hi guys.
I have a T5 transmission out of a Mustang which I want to match up to a 4.6 Rover and I need a bell housing to suit.
I can get a bell housing off a TVR Chimera/Griffith but wondered if the input shaft length is the same?
The transmission ID number is 1352 249 which I think has a 180mm or 7 1/8" input which is about what I measured (182).
Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

Mark
Triumph TR7/V8 race car
Triumph TR6 road car

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Rover 4.6 to T5

Post by sidecar »

Markus wrote:Hi guys.
I have a T5 transmission out of a Mustang which I want to match up to a 4.6 Rover and I need a bell housing to suit.
I can get a bell housing off a TVR Chimera/Griffith but wondered if the input shaft length is the same?
The transmission ID number is 1352 249 which I think has a 180mm or 7 1/8" input which is about what I measured (182).
Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
I fitted a T5 from a cossie to my 4.6, I used a JE Developments bellhousing and I must say that I was not impressed with it!

If I had just lobbed the whole thing together there would have been about 9mm of spline engaugement between the standard style clutch plate and the input shaft. I used a Helix 'puck' clutch which has a deeper splined boss which increased the engaugment to 20mm. I also had a lot of expensive machining work done on the back of the bellhousing, this increased the engaugement to 29mm. Also this allowed proper engaugment between the spigot bearing and the input shaft.

Oh the concentric slave that JE supplied was for a Sierra but had been fitted with different hydralic fittings, they all leaked and I had to get the mounting the the slave bolted to machined so that it had the correct throw!

To sum up, don't buy a bell housing from JE!

(No I did not bother telling him any of this, I was already at the end of my tether as I had waited 7 months for a close ratio set of gears for my R380, when they arrived AND my box was in pieces it was found that they had beem machined incorrectly, some of the syncro cones were wrong, even if they had been machined correctly they would have still not fitted my particular suffix anyway!)

Sorry this has turned into a bit of a rant! You could phone up a company called Geaboxman, they can tell you whether the inputs shafts are the same length between TVR version and any other version. I think that they are the same length between the TVR and the Cossie box.

Edit...
Just spotted you are in OZ, I guess you won't be buying a bellhousing from JE anyway!

Markus

Post by Markus »

Thanks Sidecar.
I have emailed The Gearboxman with I'd numbers and measurements.
Hope to get a reply soon.
As for purchasing a bell housing from the UK, it's no big deal.
My engine is coming from V8 Developments :)
Cheers!
Mark
Triumph TR7/V8 race car
Triumph TR6 road car

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

The Cossie T5 is different to the Mustang T5 in terms of input shaft. Someone I know has managed to get one to fit and I could ask him how he ended up doing it but it was not easy

However my Mustang T5 fits perfectly with the V8 as that is how it came - attached to my TVR engine.

Note there are other differences between Cossie and Mustang (World Class) such as the gear lever position.

Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

On a positive note,I bought a bell housing for my T5 (2nd hand) about ten years ago,and its a perfect fit ! I can't fault it in any way.
I used a Ford needle bearing spigot,on advice from the gearbox man,( but he wasn't called that when he fitted my Quaife kit ! )

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”