TVR needs more power - LS, L33 etc advice needed

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

The L33 is rated at 310hp standard. It can be tuned to much more, obviously. I was just meaning that I had a "standard" 3.5 RV8 in bits and the cost of rebuilding that RV8 to 300hp would have been around the cost (if not more) of just buying the stock L33. Plus, the RV8 would be straining at 300hp, while the L33 is only just getting started.

As I said, he seems a decent bloke. I'm always a little reticent to "recommend" anybody as we all have different experiences and I've had fine dealings with people who others have told me not to touch with a bargepole, and vice versa. All I can say is that I found him to be very friendly, easy to deal with and the machines he build are very impressive, so I guess he knows what he's doing. Also, as I only live about 20 mins drive away, he delivered the engine for free, which was an hour or so of his Saturday morning.

If you visit him, ask to have a look at the F1 cars. They're beautiful.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
you want 400 BHP, so thats a new cam, about 225 degrees at .05" lift and a remap ooh about £350 by you have imported the cam, no new lifters needed, might want to change valve springs, but not esential, and remap your MSQ yourself. that won't feel like tuning after the rover. . your wallet won't be in any pain at all.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

300 from a 3.5 is a tall and expensive task. It took me a while and quite a bit of expense to get to the 275 @ wheels i have now from my 4.6.

There are lots of TVR owners pushing the tuning on their Rover V8s. 340 bhp is do-able at costs that owners find acceptable over a year or 2 development. The guys pushing over 350 bhp NA are spending much more. More are now opting for the supercharge and turbo options that cost another few thousand to take power to 400+

The LS option has been in TVR minds for a few years now and there must be dozens of cars running these engines now. Most are around the 400 bhp mark but others i know have 550 - 600 bhp.

I want a tune that will return acceptable mpg on the drives to and from the tracks and i will add a healthy nitrous shot to take the power to where i need to achieve 9's on the strip
10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

dbv8 wrote:The LS option has been in TVR minds for a few years now ...
Yup, I was toying with the idea for my Cerbera before it was written off.

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

See here
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... s+recorded

Paul 'Brummmie' Cerbera has a stroked LS3 running Jenvey TBs for 600 bhp. 10.6 @ 133 :shock:
10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

Yeah, I know about Brummie's build. I've seen a couple of LS powered Cerbs on the PH forums. I haven't frequented lately though. Mine was written off back in Jan 2010 when some woman in a fiesta rammed me from behind on the M1. The wife was ecstatic when it was written off though. I ended up replacing it with a Jag S-Type R to keep us both happy :).

MPoxon

Re: TVR needs more power - LS, L33 etc advice needed

Post by MPoxon »

dbv8 wrote:Planning ahead for next winter.

I will be fitting either an LS or similar. Maybe an ally L33 or iron L59 to keep to e reasonable budget.
I fancy the Tremec TR 6060 6 speed.
Aim would be for 400 @ wheels NA and to accept a healthy nitrous shot at the strip.

A Dave Mac prop and driveshafts would be used.
The BTR diff should last a time but maybe something stronger and a higher ratio later.

Thoughts?
You must be worried about the competition Derek, sneaking over to the V8 forum planning your upgrades for next year already! Sorry to hear you are looking to cheat and put an LS in ..... tut tut tut. :wink:

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Cheating ? It's using his head !
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

stevieturbo wrote:Cheating ? It's using his head !

Yup!!
When I've maxxed out this Rover V8 the only sensible way forward will be to start with a powerful engine and work it up from there :)

I love the RV8 because I find them so easy to work on. But now I've had some time playing with Mikes Orange engine it aint much different ;)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

mgbv8 wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:Cheating ? It's using his head !

Yup!!
When I've maxxed out this Rover V8 the only sensible way forward will be to start with a powerful engine and work it up from there :)

I love the RV8 because I find them so easy to work on. But now I've had some time playing with Mikes Orange engine it aint much different ;)
same number of cylinders, same number of valves, slightly bigger pistons, different fuel and firing order, basically they are all the same. :D
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I cant lift your engine block up with one hand though :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

You could pick this up with one hand!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-1 ... /overview/
and the equivilent Rover after market block from wildcat is a bit more expensive!
:D
Mike
poppet valves rule!

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

:lol:

I think Matthew is referring to 'cheating' as i always accuse the LS TVR guys of just that. The fact that i run nitrous gets them biting.

Yes Matthew i may have to cheat at some point. Just got to run the 10.99 this year with the little old 4.6 then serious changes will have to be made. that 1 second to 9.99 is huge and will probably demand a further 200 bhp on the 500 i am squeezing out of the poor Rover now.
10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”