3.9 V8 rebuild using 4.6V8 parts

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

alanius

3.9 V8 rebuild using 4.6V8 parts

Post by alanius »

I've a 3.9 V8 engine block that is completly rebuild with top hat liners, block is as new. It was original a serpentine model from a discovery, but with the oil pump driven by the dizzy.
Now I'm going to use megasquirt on this engine so I didn't need the dizzy anymore so I've putted the front cover from a 4.6V8 on the engine (smaller, no place anymore for the dizzy). Oil pump is driven by the crankshaft.

But I've just saw that I have 2 places where I can put the oil 'intake' pipe (don't know the correct name):
- 1 on the engine block (originel 3.9)
- 1 on the front cover (from the 4.6)

I guess I need to use the one from the 4.6 (front cover) but what I need to do with the original intake from the 3.9. Let it open or block it or... ?

who can help me???

many thanks
regards
Alain

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

So I think you must use the 4.6 pickup pipe. The hole in the block should be open, and I believe that the oil gallery at the timing cover end is blocked off by the casting.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

alanius

Post by alanius »

ChrisJC wrote:So I think you must use the 4.6 pickup pipe. The hole in the block should be open, and I believe that the oil gallery at the timing cover end is blocked off by the casting.

Chris.
thanks!

I only blocked the 'old' pick up hole. But when it is also blocked at the timing cover it shouldn't be a problem I guess

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”