Insurance with NOS

General Chat About Nitrous Oxide.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

I'm sure I read that NOS is illegal on the road anyway?
When I added turbo's to the dakar I expected a healthy jump - but I was already on an unlimited policy (engine wise) - so no change. Dakar just renewed for £260 today - with fluxy, which has been creeping up again.
Didn't have a chance to shop around this year as I was on holiday - but will do next year.

Dont think i would bother with NOS anyway - doesn't last long enough and costs too much. Turbo is the way to go!

Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Eliot wrote:I'm sure I read that NOS is illegal on the road anyway?
When I added turbo's to the dakar I expected a healthy jump - but I was already on an unlimited policy (engine wise) - so no change. Dakar just renewed for £260 today - with fluxy, which has been creeping up again.
Didn't have a chance to shop around this year as I was on holiday - but will do next year.

Dont think i would bother with NOS anyway - doesn't last long enough and costs too much. Turbo is the way to go!
Hi Eliot,

The problem with sticking turbo(s) on my engine is that I would have to totally rebuild it to suite, also they would kill the rather scary noise that my sidepipes make! (Ask Muscle Manta, he got an ear full the other day!). The flames on overrun are nice too.

I understand what you are saying about NOS not lasting long enough but I'm only doing it for a bit of a laugh really (No pun intended)

NOS is legal on the road despite what one insurance company told me.

Flux would insure my car with NOS but they wanted a shed load of money, in the end Classic Line sorted me out. (Not mega cheap but just about OK)

The lump knocks out 285 BHP and I'm fitting a 75 BHP kit, the car weighs around 900 kg so the performance should be quite good.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

And here lies the problem witn nitrous vs turbo's for me !!!

I would have to take at least 18 months off racing to save up to build a turbo engine that I would be happy with. But if I stick some gas on I can get a fix straight away??

When all my kids decide to bugger off and leave home. I'll be able to build a turbo or charged lump in 8 months.

I'm quite old now, and waiting 18 months for a fix is not on my books. I know that a years worth of nitrous will pay for a turbo job. But I want my fun NOW !! :lol:

I need 6 bottles of gas at around £60 a refill to start a season. I can only use half of each bottle (3 passes) as the pressure drops too low on a 4th pass. So this gives me 18 passes on the strip. Then I need to transfer gas from 3 half full bottles to fill the other 3 half full bottles. This gives me another 9 passes to total 27 passes. Then I have to fill 3 bottles and half fill another 3 bottles at a rough cost of £260.00
This will typically give me 3-4 months on the drag strip at various events on a busy season. So it aint cheap! I guess I spned about £700 a year on nitrous. How much would it cost for me to take my stock 4.6 and rebuild with twin turbo's or a big blower on top??

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Will Reeve
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Will Reeve »

can you not buy/rent a large bottle and fill a small one from that? I do that with a/c gas.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Will Reeve wrote:can you not buy/rent a large bottle and fill a small one from that? I do that with a/c gas.

Yes!
You can get big bottle from nitrous oxide supplies. Which I have done for 2 years. But last year I couldnt afford it. So I just got topped up from various places as funds allowed.

If I get a big bottle and fill my empties + a few mates bottles I can send it back for a refund on the annaul hire charge and get another big one cheaper. This means the second bottle works out at around £40 per refill. I'll be getting another big bottle in Sept when my bonus comes in :)

Its a shame 407C isnt the same. I got shed loads of that hanging around ;)

I've still got 10kg of R22 left + another 20kg of R22R.....I wonder if I could part ex my R22 for nitrous? That would be a right result :)

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hi,

When I asked about nos a few years ago, it wasn't the performance they had an issue with, it was the fact that your
carrying a compressed gas cylinder in your car, in case you have a fire..!! Or thats what they said to me when I push the subject...

Steve.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I got insured in the end through Classic Line insurance, the actual company was "Brit car" from memory.

berty
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by berty »

need2 insure
give garry shelton a call
01623 72001 he should sort you out :P

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

I've looked into insuring a car for road use with Nitrous in the past. Out of 22 insurance companies, 17 declined to even provide a quote. The remaining 6 were more than double my regular premium.

I can see their reservations though - in the event of a crash, if there's a fire, a ruptured Nitrous bottle would fuel it even more.
2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

Return to “Nitrous Oxide Area ”