discovery airbox

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

welshphill

discovery airbox

Post by welshphill »

i've heard that an alternative to the pastic airbox found on discoverys, you can fit the round metal ones from either a range rover classic or an early/200 discovery...

my plastic airbox fitted to my 95 3.9 v8 discovery has a rather large crack in it from a lpg related blow back

has anyone else heard of or tried out this mod???

GO HARD OR GO HOME....

dieseldog69

Post by dieseldog69 »

not seen it personally as most people I know do away with the airbox and put a free flow K&N or equiv in its place, I personally would replace and modify the standard plastic one with a blow out valve that would let the preasure out under blow back but stay shut under vaccuum, simmilar to the valves you see on dust masks with the little silicone valves but on a more industrial scale for your purpose.

Dont know if it wouls work but it may be worth a try?

Although I would probably say it would be a better idea to sort out the cause of the blow back and cure that before spending time and money on anything else.
1998 Discovery 3.9 V8
cooking on gas baby
if you aint livin life on the edge yr taking up too much room

welshphill

Post by welshphill »

she only blows back when low on lpg, going round round-a-bouts, corners, etc. when the system is sucking up vapour/fumes instead of liquid...

it's common/normal/typical when using lpg systems, esp if your getting used to the lpg gauge/lights for the tanks which are not a good guide (unless you've have the required software and gone into the diagnostics/set-up menu of the lpg ecu and set them to your preference) to how much lpg you have left
GO HARD OR GO HOME....

oilyfingers
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by oilyfingers »

Thats what i have on mine as airbox was virtually destroyed from lpg blowback. A member on here kindly donated it.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You can definitely buy a proper blowback safety valve that sits in the intake to allow excess pressure to escape. It's basically a short piece of tube with a thick rubber sleeve over the outside.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “LPG Section”