Stepper motors on Rover V8 SU HIF44E carbs

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

n1tr0_9

Stepper motors on Rover V8 SU HIF44E carbs

Post by n1tr0_9 »

Im rebuilding some carbs for a Rover V8. They are the later ECU controlled carbs with stepper motors on the side. Unfortunately i stripped them down before reading in the workshop manual that under no circumstances should they be separated from the carb bodies. The manual states they are set at factory and shouldnt be disturbed.

My question is what will happen if i just bolt them back on? They are held to the carb body by three screws with no external adjustability, so it must be an internal setting of the stepper motor. However I assume they are just some kind of port or orifice opening and closing device and therefore their basic settings would be broadly similar and any further adjustments made by the mechanical settings of the carb?

Anyone done it before?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I can't answer your question, but I am intruiged by what they are from?

Since you have no choice, I would just chuck them back on and see what happens! I think all they do is control idle speed by opening the butterfly under ECU control.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

n1tr0_9

Post by n1tr0_9 »

ChrisJC wrote:I can't answer your question, but I am intruiged by what they are from?

Since you have no choice, I would just chuck them back on and see what happens! I think all they do is control idle speed by opening the butterfly under ECU control.

Chris.
They are from a 1986 Rover Sd1 3500

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

The steppers will need to be "zeroed" at neutral/closed position otherwise it may damage them when the system powers up.

There is a way of doing it, but I am not familiar with it, only hearsay from a mate who did something similar with a modern throttle body.
Cheers,
John

n1tr0_9

Post by n1tr0_9 »

Anyone know how to do this?

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

I'll ask him where he found the info when I see him next.
Cheers,
John

n1tr0_9

Post by n1tr0_9 »

unstable load wrote:I'll ask him where he found the info when I see him next.
Great thank you.

As a further update, I spoke to Burlen SU today and asked why they shouldn’t be removed. They weren’t sure. They sell replacement stepper motors for about £60+vat, so they must be reasonably interchangeable.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”