The V8 Owners Forum - Forum Index The V8 Owners Forum -
Welcome to the well-known V8 Owners Forum, no matter what you drive if its V8 Powered you'll be made very welcome.

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BMW 4.4ltr V8 into E36 Saloon..!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The V8 Owners Forum - Forum Index -> Engine Swaps And Conversions Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iain,

I linked the big vacuum pipe work up and blocked off the smaller ones..

I haven't done anything to mine at all lately, just working out/researching what parts I'm going to need biuld the 5.0ltr M62, I've decided to ditch the ITB's and return to the original M62 inlet manifold, but hoping for 400hp & 400lb/ft....

Steve
E36-kul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Great thread, Reply with quote

Hi guys

This is a great thread, we it's given me the balls to do this to my e36 coupe.
Does any make the engine mounts, sump and oil pan??

Thanks Kul
BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all,

Been a while since I've post anything as I have been a busy body building two track cars for friends of mine, so the progress on the beemer has been slow...
However I got stuck in to it about 6 weeks ago and she's getting there, few issues with the engine build/modifications but soon she'll be back together, I'll post some pics soon and what I've been up to....

Steve
Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWE36V8 wrote:
Hi to all,

Been a while since I've post anything as I have been a busy body building two track cars for friends of mine, so the progress on the beemer has been slow...
However I got stuck in to it about 6 weeks ago and she's getting there, few issues with the engine build/modifications but soon she'll be back together, I'll post some pics soon and what I've been up to....

Steve

Hi Steve,

Looking forward to seeing your progress, have you gone with the 4.8/5L stroked engine?

My M62 now has a pair of TD04 Turbo manifolds almost complete, so looking for info on reducing compression, planning on pulling the heads off shortly to inspect, can anyone suggest a company who supplies thicker gaskets?
BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iain,

I have gone the stroker route, the capacity I have ended up with is 4733cc,
I used the crank and rods from the S62 M5 engine, I have also used M5 cams, valves, valve springs, retainers etc, I have also raised the compression to 11:1....

I have also found some interesting stuff about the S62 vs M62 engine, things that are interchangeable and bits that aren't, also bits can be made to work with a bit of thought....

I'm also in the process of remake the entire exhaust system, manifolds to the back box, so exciting times.... hopefully... probably wont get it back on the road this year, so wont dyno it until March time next year, I'll keep you posted on my progress...

I have built 290hp N/A 205gti and a 300+hp 1600 Turbo Honda civic for a couple of friends, so need to get on track with them....LOL

Steve.
BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain,

You can skim the pistons by 1.0mm as they protrude from the block 0.5mm and use the head gasket from a late M62 fitted to the range rover, there steel and are 2.4mm thick...

Steve.
Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Well done, your research has paid off! Can't wait to hear it running, what inlet are you planning to run?

BMWE36V8 wrote:
Iain,

You can skim the pistons by 1.0mm as they protrude from the block 0.5mm and use the head gasket from a late M62 fitted to the range rover, there steel and are 2.4mm thick...

Steve.

Great info, I didn't realise the RR was thicker again, I've seen 1.7mm & 2mm available but not the 2.4mm.

I've also been told that fitting the M60 crank shortens the stroke by 2mm and the same as removing 1mm from the top end. I think this is the combination I'll go for as I want to run enough boost but not race fuel, hoping to keep it on 97Ron.

Is it possible to run the M62 Timing gear on the M60 crank? I know you have swapped them across before but to gain compression not loose it!
Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, Range Rover wise all I can find are the 2.07mm gaskets, any suggestions where to find the thicker gaskets.

Also are the head bolts on these engines reusable? Or are they stretch bolts?
BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Victor Reinz gaskets and there are steel so don't crush and have measured them in several places with an average of 2.4mm (all around the combustion ring area...

The head bolts are of a stretch style so need replacing...
Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWE36V8 wrote:
I have used Victor Reinz gaskets and there are steel so don't crush and have measured them in several places with an average of 2.4mm (all around the combustion ring area...

The head bolts are of a stretch style so need replacing...

Thanks Steve, ill look up Reinz Data sheet and see what I can find.

I know a lot of people follow this thread, I've a 6speed V8 Manual Box, 88k miles forsale at the moment, complete with stick, linkage/ remote & propshaft.

Drove the car personally myself so can vouch for its condition.

If anyone is interested drop me an email - benzini(at)hotmail.co.uk
BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Its been a while since I've posted anything, I will post some more details of what I have done to the engine but I would just like to share the final dyno numbers.... 406hp@6500rpm and 396lb/ft@4000rpm.... Cool Cool Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The V8 Owners Forum - Forum Index -> Engine Swaps And Conversions Area All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: