Tvr Chimaera 400 Engine Upgrade

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

gd302
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Tvr Chimaera 400 Engine Upgrade

Post by gd302 »

Hi all, im looking to liven up the 4.0 engine in my car.
I have a healthy budget of around £5000, but cant quite make my mind up on which way to go!
I thought id ask here as someone may have done something similar, apologies to those that might have answered my questions elsewhere.
I originally planned to go Supercharged, a full kit is available to bolt on with all extras to make it run and weighs in at £4500, this is designed to run on the existing lucus 14cux.
I cant help thinking this is too much stress for the engine on standard pistons etc, which although healthy has 78000 miles on the clock, although it is a fairly low boost setup.
Ive read that the standard internals will cope with a little boost if you have some mechanical sympathy.
I dont really want to have to rebuild the engine after spending the money fitting the S/C kit.
My other options are to buy/build a performance 4.6, or stick with my 4.0 bottom end and spend on the heads, cam etc.
Id like to keep my block as i do want to retain the original engine number if possible but this is not critical.
Im aiming for 300 Bhp, something comparable to the 500 engined cars.
Im happy enough to stay with the Rover engine and dont have the time to condsider LS conversions etc.
Any advice would be great, my head hurts thinking about which way to go!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You should be able to get 300BHP by spending that on a 4.6L engine. I would go for a re-linered bottom end, ported heads, high compression (i.e. 4.0L) pistons, a decent cam, etc.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

gd302
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by gd302 »

Thanks, who should i trust with the block relinering?

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Converted my 4.6 to 4.8ltrs and a supercharger that woke her up lol
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I've always entrusted my re-linering to Turners. Not the cheapest, but the best in my opinion. Most other places get Chesman Motorsport to do the actual work. Turners put o-rings on the liners which I think is the best way of doing it.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

gd302
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by gd302 »

Thanks, by the time you have self built you are probably looking at the wrong side of £4000. You can buy one already done from V8D for £4200 if their web prices are correct, maybe even stretch to a 5.0 if I talk nicely to her indoors!

Return to “Engines Area”