Is this block a write off?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Didn't perry fix worse damage (detonation) on his 4.6 with chemical snot - never thought it would work, but it lasted.

Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

Just thought I'd give an update. The mobile welder chap popped round and used Aluminium MIG after grinding out a smooth channel U shape eliminating all of the corrosion.

The welding kit he used required 2 13A plugs - the plan being to get lots of heat in for a very short period of time - a real challenge getting a good weld due to the short duration. I filed flat the weld after putting masking tape on the block all around for protection.

To be honest the quality was not great with some pitting/small voids I guess due to oil contamination etc. Overall, though the surface is flat - I finished off with some JB weld to fill any remaining voids. I know, it all sounds a bit of a bodge...

The composite gasket and heads are now back on. I'll be starting things up again this weekend - fingers crossed! Time will tell...though how much time remains an unknown... though it will probably last longer than Mrs.May's strategy team...

Return to “Engines Area”