Options for oil pressure sender position.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Options for oil pressure sender position.

Post by jenko »

Im struggling for room in the timing cover. There are two spaces, but the sender is quite large. Any other options on the RV8 for oil pressure sender location.

Building a westfield V8

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

Could you fit a pipe in the sender hole so you could fit the sender somewhere else?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I did this:

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Options for oil pressure sender position.

Post by stevieturbo »

jenko wrote:Im struggling for room in the timing cover. There are two spaces, but the sender is quite large. Any other options on the RV8 for oil pressure sender location.
Exactly which engine/oil pump/filter housing etc, and where is space a problem on your setup ?

And which sensor are you using ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

You can see just see the sender in this pic, it hits the alternator bracket and also , the send is a 1/4npt rather than an m12, so I need to add in an adapter. the sender is very large, but I really need to use it to match to the smiths gauges.

Building a westfield V8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

You could put it on a Tee in the filter or cooler pipes. If you are not using a cooler then the outlet below the cover could be used but it will read slight more as your filter becomes clogged. TVR use this location. It's M20 thread.
Just as a comment on your layout, the belt tensioner is on the wrong side of the engine and will tend to loosen the belt tension under load.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Seight-V8 »

I used something like this

http://www.ratsport.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9611764

then just made a bracket to hold the sender in a different location....

worked a treat, with the standard VDO oil pressure sender I have.

regards

scott

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Just remote mount it on a short piece of flexible hose.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

benjai

Post by benjai »

I had the same issue.

I found a swivel elbow which would screw into the block, and which had enough metal on the other end to cut off and drill and tap to suit an adaptor which the sensor would screw into. There’s just enough room for everything to fit, but it’s tight… The photo shows the two elbows I bought (just in case) with the upper unmodified, and the lower showing the internal tapping for the adaptor.

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

Thanks for the ideas, I think I may have a solution now. the timing cover has m12 plugs, BUT...the actual thread in the timing cover appears to be bigger (possibly M14), This means that the 1/4inch NPT thread of the sender actually does fit (although only about 4 thread will go in)...I think this with some ptfe tape and locktite, should be ok.
Building a westfield V8

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

DEVONMAN wrote:Just as a comment on your layout, the belt tensioner is on the wrong side of the engine and will tend to loosen the belt tension under load.
This is 100% correct and cannot be put onto the right hand side. See my posts on http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 3&start=75

When you see what happens when you blip the throttle the belt goes very slack indeed. I've now made up a fixed jockey wheel and it appears to have reduced my cooling issues - but think I need an oil cooler!
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

richardpope50 wrote:
DEVONMAN wrote:Just as a comment on your layout, the belt tensioner is on the wrong side of the engine and will tend to loosen the belt tension under load.
This is 100% correct and cannot be put onto the right hand side. See my posts on http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 3&start=75

When you see what happens when you blip the throttle the belt goes very slack indeed. I've now made up a fixed jockey wheel and it appears to have reduced my cooling issues - but think I need an oil cooler!
Completely agree....What's not obvious is the tensioner on the right (as you are looking at the engine) is not actually acting as a tensioner (the actual tensioner is in the usual place on the left. The one you are referring is not under any load...it's just acting as an up and over pulley. (hope that makes sense).
Building a westfield V8

Return to “Engines Area”