General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kokkolanpoika
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

No oil when rockers are installed

Post by kokkolanpoika »

Hi.

I have got problem with my friend 3.5ltre rover EFI engine.. I replace cam and lifters etc.. prime the oil pump with drill.. Oil will flow out of the head oil hole. So i fit rockers, slightly prime oil pump again and look that small amount of oil is flowing inside the rockers. I think oil is cold and that amount is ok.
Fit rockers covers etc.. Start the engine, drive cam in, and it will run fine. Oil pressure is ok, over 1bar at idle speed and with revs, it is ok.. +3-4bar. Next day i notice some small voices on the rocker gears.. Take cover off and start the engine.. No oil.. Take rockers off, taka dizzy off, prime the pump, oil will wlow again with head oil hole.

So i take pushrods away, put the rockers only in place, prime the pump, oil will flow between rockers/pedestals.. So i think all seems fine. Then i fit pushrods, rockers, prime the pump, no oil. So i take 1 rocker off the saft, prime the pump, oil will flow. Also oil will flow in the head/pedestal hole if i loose rockers saft bolts. But if i tighten all bolts, oil stops flowing.

Rocker saft is quite good contition, very small sratches, and rockers look fine also.. Shaft oil holes is pointing to inlet manifold/lifters..

I did not measure shaft/rockers tolerances.. So are they too loose, that rocker will shut the saft oil hole?

I hope someone understand my English/what i mean...

Timo

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Is the rocker shaft rotated 180degrees from where it should be?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kokkolanpoika
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by kokkolanpoika »

ChrisJC wrote:Is the rocker shaft rotated 180degrees from where it should be?

Chris.
No.. they are similar like here..
http://www.v8engines.com/Rockers_cust.html
Timo

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

The photos and words in that link do not make it clear where the holes should be, it states that the holes should be pointing downwards. You could do this but still have the shafts incorrectly fitted. The holes should point down and towards the valley area of the engine.

Actually I don't think that this will be the cause of your problem anyway, what would concern me is the fact that you had to prime the engine again after to was running. (unless the second priming was just to check that the oil was still flowing)

You are not using shims under the shaft supports are you? If so maybe they are not lined up correctly with the holes in the heads.

At the end of the day if the oil is coming out of the heads when the pump is turned with a drill then the issue can only be in the rocker assembly.

When I primed my engine I seem to recall that the oil would spurt out of the holes in the head with quite a lot of force.

kokkolanpoika
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by kokkolanpoika »

The holes point down and towards the valley area of the engine.

Yes ì´m using shims.. I opened shim oil holes slightly, same problem.
I also try without shim´s, same problem..
My only opinion is that rockers are worn/too smooth, and it will clog shaft oil hole when cam is lifting, and when cam is in the pace circle, valve spring will push rocker slightly up and it will clog oil hole agin?

I have to take rockers off tomorrow and measure clearances and chek smoothnes..
Timo

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Are you using the correct type of pedestal bolts?
OE bolts have a waisted shank to allow oil to flow up to the shaft at the front pedestal.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

kokkolanpoika
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by kokkolanpoika »

DEVONMAN wrote:Are you using the correct type of pedestal bolts?
OE bolts have a waisted shank to allow oil to flow up to the shaft at the front pedestal.
Yes, OE bolts..
Timo

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Where the oil hole is drilled in the head under the pedastal post push a long welding/brazing rod down to make sure the line up of the head gasket is correct
So thats where it went !

kokkolanpoika
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by kokkolanpoika »

JSF55 wrote:Where the oil hole is drilled in the head under the pedastal post push a long welding/brazing rod down to make sure the line up of the head gasket is correct
Tested.. Ok..

I take set of rockers for 4.2litre engine witch is coming to same friend 100" hyprid project.. I fit those, prime the pump.. Suprise oil is coming out the rockers/pedestals.. Start the engine, oil is still flowing even when engine is cold.. :lol:

I do not see any alarming fault with those rockers.. I have to measure those some day.. The oil groove must be too smooth and it will clog oil hole..?? Any better ideas?
Timo

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Not possible you swapped L & R assemblies?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

DaveEFI wrote:Not possible you swapped L & R assemblies?

That should not make any difference as they are mirror images of each other?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Something at the back of my mind says they are handed.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

They are identical when assembled correctly and not handed. :D

However, over time any crud that gets into the shaft will sit at the rear end and if you then swop the assemblies over, the crud (if severe) could block/limit the flow coming up from the front of the cylinder head.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Aminv8

Post by Aminv8 »

Hi guys- newbie here, found you're site via uncle google whilst I was searching the exact same issue as our fin friend kokkolanpoika, plenty of flow when rocker shaft off, but when I bolt on the shafts no oil comes up to lubricate the shaft , any help would be appreciated , not sure if kokko change the rockers on their own of the full shaft

Return to “Engines Area”