oil pressure

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ivysboy

oil pressure

Post by ivysboy »

Hi 3.5 ltr. removed sump removed oil pickup and thoroughly cleaned refitted new gasket and refitted the sump. put in new engine oil 20/50 new oil filter and run engine . the pressure went to 30 lb .( this has a mechanical oil gauge) drops to 20 lb after a few mins then down to 5 lb even when revved. switch off for 5 mins and the pressure does the same ie 30. 20 . 5 lb tried changing the pump gears with good used ones but still the same. what should it be when hot? :roll: anybody have any ideas. would be much appreciated. thank you . Ken.

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

Did you use a new gasket on the oil pick up pipe ?
Could be sucking air there !

ivysboy

Post by ivysboy »

Blown v8 wrote:Did you use a new gasket on the oil pick up pipe ?
Could be sucking air there !

hi yes new gasket fitted

ivysboy

Post by ivysboy »

Hi yes a new gasket was fitted

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

P5B/P6B 3.5 litre should be 30-40psi @ 2400rpm HOT. Later engines will differ from that because of the improved oil pump.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

What was the pressure before please?
I have seen home modified pick up pipes that have curved on the base that meets the block gallery and oil was being picked up and then dumped at the top of the pipe before it even got to the pump.
The curving was caused by welding /brazing the pipe to the mounting plate.
Not saying you have this but if pressure was good beforehand then its something fairly simple I reckon.

P

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

My guess would be a faulty gauge?

Have you tried bleeding any air from the sender area? Crack the sender to release any air from behind it when the engine is idling

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

ivysboy

Post by ivysboy »

gelmonkey wrote:What was the pressure before please?
I have seen home modified pick up pipes that have curved on the base that meets the block gallery and oil was being picked up and then dumped at the top of the pipe before it even got to the pump.
The curving was caused by welding /brazing the pipe to the mounting plate.
Not saying you have this but if pressure was good beforehand then its something fairly simple I reckon.

P[/qDon't know as purchased this with head gaskets leaking water into the sump . engine been stripped down and heads done and all new gaskets fitteduote]

ivysboy

Post by ivysboy »

Ian Anderson wrote:My guess would be a faulty gauge?

Have you tried bleeding any air from the sender area? Crack the sender to release any air from behind it when the engine is idling

Ian thanks for that. do mechanical oil gauges go wrong?] will do as you suggest and try bleeding out any air. thanks. Ken.

ivysboy

Post by ivysboy »

ivysboy wrote:
Ian Anderson wrote:My guess would be a faulty gauge?

Ian thanks for that. do mechanical oil gauges go wrong?] will do as you suggest and try bleeding out any air. thanks. Ken.[/quote

Thanks Ian. slackened the oil pipe from the gauge until oil came through tightened it up and now got good oil pressure. thank you very much. Ken.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Thanks for getting back Ken

It was just a hunch but glad it worked

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Engines Area”