Rover V8 Oil leak problem, help needed

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Migwell

Post by Migwell »

thanks for that Perry, will strip it b4 scrapping to check

Going back to the PCV, if I modify 1 cam cover near the dizzy end and fitted a PCV valve, then a tube from there to the inlet manifold just below a carb would this work? I can easily drill and fit a small tube in the inlet while im doing the gasket, just a thought

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

unless you have a problem with fumes in the car you dont need to fit a PCV system.The breathers you have will breath in and out as required.

If the old engine is a scrapper I'll have it off you for bits for my Sons first V8 project.

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Migwell

Post by Migwell »

To be honest Perry it will take me ages to get round to stripping the heads off to check and with so much more going on in my life at moment (ill health) I may never get round to it, for the last 2 years ive just wanted it out the garage, how local are you?

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I'm miles away. But work most of the time arouynd the London area. Where in Kent are you Migwell??

I often get down to the detling area on jobs :)

And I dont mind a troll out of a weekend for a day.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Migwell

Post by Migwell »

im in Folkestone, M20 ,straight passed the Detling turn off and carry on down to J12, 5 minutes from there.
Its about 30 minutes from Detling

If you want it, your welcome to it, I dont have a engine lift thou and I cant lift anything due to health but could probably get a friend round if we arranged a day n time

Love the video clips of you car on you tube, many hours gone into that im sure.

will pm you my number

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

If you chaps need an engine hoist/crane I have one I can lend, it is a big bggr but I think it will fit in the back of Perry's pickup.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I got your PM Mig!!

I'll be over to see you after my trip to France. If its only a block and heads I can lump that onto the trailer. I may bring my little lad with me for assistance as well. As he's just seen a pic of your car and wants a look see :)
Thanks for the compliments. But she's a bit of a warhorse with many battle scars now :)

Thanks for the offer Mike. I've got a crane but dont think I'll need it.
I'm taking your carb book to France for some reading in the evenings :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Migwell

Post by Migwell »

Just an update, bit late, good to meet Perry and his son the other week, thanks for the advise, done the inlet gasket as Perry suggested and seems to be holding, just got back from a long rip to birmingham and back and all seems dry, have found though if I give it loads I do get spitting of oil from the breathers, any extra ideas to cure that?

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Migwell

Loooking back at your early pictures the thing which sticks out is the fact that your breather outlets on the rocker covers are on the sides and obviously they will not have baffle plates mounted inside as do the rover covers which vent at the top.

That in itself may be the route cause of the problem but as you have no PCV system this will not be helping as there will be positive pressure inside the crankcase and valve chest areas.

Kevin

sidewaysste

Post by sidewaysste »

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but this sounds very much like the issue I'm having.
I've got a 4.6 with twin turbos that's had a very light head skim. It runs 8 psi boost at most. It's in a Disco 1.

It's fine off boost and for short periods in boost but if you hold it in boost for 20 seconds or so, it does blow past the valley gasket.

I'd run breather pipes from the engine to the top of the snorkel ( as originally they were plumbed into the inlet and that REALLY blows out when in boost. The breather pipes are about 8mm dia.

I suspect my issues are
Too small breather pipes
Inlet/ valley gasket leaking between the bottom of the ports and the valley cavity.

I don't get any blue smoke from the exhaust or pressurisation of the cooling circuit.

Any additional information would be gratefully received.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Perhaps you could try running the breathing system at a vacuum? I think they are supposed to be at a slight vacuum anyway.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Engines Area”