Rover V8 No Engine Number

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Swerve

Rover V8 No Engine Number

Post by Swerve »

Hi I'm a newbie to your forum and looking for any help to ID an engine I'm having rebuilt. Fitted to a MGB Costello V8 (had one fitted from new in 1971). It's just been split down. There is no engine number. Face hasn't been skimmed / ground. Looks to never had a number. Pistons look like 9.25:1. Remains of individual white painted numbers on each piston crown. Gudgeon pins have their ends hand ground. On standard bore. Heads are numbered 612571 which I think are P6 (?). Block (with no number) doesn't seem to have a casting number (?). Not rope seal but rubber aka SD1. Crank takes the rubber seal. Timing cover looks P6 with rope seal. Engine isn't recon. Looks like it hasn't been split before. There is minimal wear and just needs hone, rings etc. Any idea what this is. it is during a period (6 months or so) that Costello was given 3500 lumps by BL. Odd that the pins are hand ground and numbered pistons? Any ideas anyone? thanks guys

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

Have you looked for a number on the shoulder on the block behind the lefthand head?

Swerve

Post by Swerve »

Yes and there is no number there either.

Return to “Engines Area”