Engine failure-any guesses before I start on it.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Crockpot

Engine failure-any guesses before I start on it.

Post by Crockpot »

The 3.5 Rover in my Hawk has died.
Starting was becoming a bit "odd" for a while with no obvious cause. Then went to go out one day last year and it was a pig to start and missing when it did. Cleared so set off only to have it start mis-firing then stop. Tried to restart but it was very reluctant and when it did lots of blue smoke.
Took it home and abandoned until now.
Just turned it over and it spins waaaaay to easily :?
Compression test first but just interested in any theories/previous experience of similar.
I do have a 1uzfe which is starting to look appealing...

Tuctuc

Post by Tuctuc »

I've not had any failures with mine, but blue smoke could indicate valve seals or rings. Do the compression test like you say, is oil pressure ok?
Mine originally wouldn't run, it would start but not idle firing out the holley carb but if you revved it fine above 3k, turned out to be a faulty electronic module on the side of the dizzy....but that isn't your problem!

Crockpot

Post by Crockpot »

Oil pressure is good even on the starter.
I have never quite trusted the electronic ignition set up. All stock Rover with all the unknown bits that go with it.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Definitely do a compression test. Blue smoke sounds like oil.
Maybe a broken piston?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Tuctuc wrote:I've not had any failures with mine, but blue smoke could indicate valve seals or rings. Do the compression test like you say, is oil pressure ok?
Mine originally wouldn't run, it would start but not idle firing out the holley carb but if you revved it fine above 3k, turned out to be a faulty electronic module on the side of the dizzy....but that isn't your problem!

Very unlikely worn rings or valve seals would suddenly stop it running, I'd say.
Would have to be something pretty major for that - I've seen engines still run with a hole in a piston.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Crockpot

Post by Crockpot »

I made a start after work today. Plugs all out and did a compression test. Seven were around 150psi and one at 60psi. So somethings amiss with one cylinder but nothing like as bad as I expected.
The plugs however were a different story! They are horribly fouled with coke like deposits from who knows what. I'm guessing oil but it doesn't use much (it leaks lots).
A new set of plugs and I'll see what happens but the one low pressure cylinder foretells of a rebuild.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Whip the tappet cover off on that low cylinder and turn the engine around while eyeballing the rockers for how far they travel on the valve strokes.
Sounds like you may have a dead camshaft lobe/s. The RV8 has been known to eat camshafts. Remember to replace cam and lifters with new bits and to use the ZDDP run-in additive and the correct run-in procedure.
Cheers,
John

Return to “Engines Area”