General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

96mm head gaskets?

Post by Seight-V8 »

hello all,

I'm looking for some head gaskets with 96mm bores, but only 1mm thick.....

Anyone else other than cometic make them....as these are now £110 each.....

things from the USA seem expensive at the moment.....and sending £220 on gaskets seems like overkill for what I will get out of them....

Must be cheaper options somewhere....

thanks

scott

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

I have used Std Elring gaskets with a 96mm bore without problems.
Other than that V8 Developments sell 96mm gaskets.

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

mgbloke wrote:I have used Std Elring gaskets with a 96mm bore without problems.
Other than that V8 Developments sell 96mm gaskets.
:whs Elrings are 95mm bore anyway and a 0.5mm fire ring protrusion on the circumference isn't going to cause issues 8-)
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Its not the protrusion into the combustion chamber that's the issue is the fact that there is a huge chamfer at the top of the bores, this means that even with a standard bore and a standard gasket half of the fire ring is not compressed at all between the block and the heads. I have had head gaskets fail because of this when using a 100 BHP NOS shot.

I think that over size gaskets are a good idea even on a standard bore, that way the fire ring is fully compressed. (Or deck the block to remove most of the chamfer!)

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Ah yes sorry, too use to seeing top hatted blocks or in my case severe deck reduction to the point my chamfer is near non existent, your correct of course 8-) that chamfer wasnt one of Rovers greatest moments and not necessary IMO

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

SimpleSimon wrote:Ah yes sorry, too use to seeing top hatted blocks or in my case severe deck reduction to the point my chamfer is near non existent, your correct of course 8-) that chamfer wasnt one of Rovers greatest moments and not necessary IMO
I think that they put the huge chamfer on the bores so that the bloke fitting the pistons into the block could throw them at the block from 10 feet away and they would just fall into the bores! :P

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

What is the std 4.6 gasket diameter ?

I just used Payen OEM's on my old twin turbo and never had any issues.

Probably not 1mm thick though...but sure thicker will add a little more PTV clearance :)
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

sidecar wrote:
SimpleSimon wrote:Ah yes sorry, too use to seeing top hatted blocks or in my case severe deck reduction to the point my chamfer is near non existent, your correct of course 8-) that chamfer wasnt one of Rovers greatest moments and not necessary IMO
I think that they put the huge chamfer on the bores so that the bloke fitting the pistons into the block could throw them at the block from 10 feet away and they would just fall into the bores! :P
:lol: :rofl They bothered to chamfer the bores but didnt clean up that horrendous mess of casting flash in the valley 8) Stevie I presume your Payens would be the same as the Elrings 95mm ish :wink:

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”