Custom top mount intercooler for twin turbo

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

As for the water radiator, I had a thicker core added to the oem end tanks (which had one row blanked out)
That radiator keeps my 5.7 cooled, even though its blocked by bodywork and varios oil coolers.

Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hi Everyone,
Here is a summary video I shot the other day. If you are interested and have 23 minutes spare, check it out. Again, thanks for the advice, it is appreciated.

Stirling

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

stirlsilver wrote:Hi Everyone,
Here is a summary video I shot the other day. If you are interested and have 23 minutes spare, check it out. Again, thanks for the advice, it is appreciated.

Lot of work gone into that - looks nice. That waterproof megasquirt box is good, I took the easy option and fitted mine where the radio would normally go on a classic (next to ignition key)

Would reccomend you brace those hard oil lines to the engine as they will move around too much and break.(i'm sure you realise that)

For my turbo water feed i cut into the heater circuit - which seems to work fine. I was considering an inline pump as well, but never bothered. The coolant is more for stopping the oil cooking/burning up when you stop the engine, rather than keeping them cool whilst driving (the oil keeps them cool)

Not sure if I saw your oil drains from the turbo's - they need to be big and straight down to the sump. I used JIC12's
http://www.mez.co.uk/turbo6-new.html
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hello everyone, I thought I would share the below youtube clip from the first day of tuning of the engine.

Stirling

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

105 shouldnt do any harm.

It also makes sense to set warning alarms in the software to alert for anything like that as you cant always watch every gauge all the time
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hello everyone, I wanted to share some more progress photos with you.

Bonnet modifications undertaken. Amazingly the engine fit without needing to cut any of the structure of the bonnet. I thought I was going to need to do some major surgery!

For the scoop I did some 2D CFD modelling to see where I should place the entrance of the scoop.

This is where I need to capture the free stream air.

My way of achieving a seal between the fans and the bonnet. Some more work is needed to seal some of the gaps but it worked quite well!

Some work done to try one scoop arrangement in CAD.

Here are some data logs from some of the tuning I've been doing. Below was a run I did with the boost controller turned off. Closed loop boost control is something I'm yet to program.

I trialed having the boost controler on an open loop configuration. Basically relying on the springs in the TD04L turbos to regulate boost. Based on the data below, it looks like they are set to 5psi.

One thing I think I need to do is probably look at the ignition map now as I think the engine could do with a fair bit more ignition advance, given it is LPG.

Here is a very short video of an updated run.
Stirling

stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

I thought I would share a progress update. The car has some good and proper poke now with an ignition map with a decent amount of advance!
Stirling

Steven 90
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Steven 90 »

Great work ! :D
Writing English is a bitt of a problem....

Steven 90
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Steven 90 »

Great work ! :D
Writing English is a bitt of a problem....

Return to “Forced Induction”