BMW 4.4ltr V8 into E36 Saloon..!

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hi Iain,

I linked the big vacuum pipe work up and blocked off the smaller ones..

I haven't done anything to mine at all lately, just working out/researching what parts I'm going to need biuld the 5.0ltr M62, I've decided to ditch the ITB's and return to the original M62 inlet manifold, but hoping for 400hp & 400lb/ft....

Steve

E36-kul

Great thread,

Post by E36-kul »

Hi guys

This is a great thread, we it's given me the balls to do this to my e36 coupe.
Does any make the engine mounts, sump and oil pan??

Thanks Kul
Kul
Current VW caddy, e36 328 soon to be 4.4l, e39 535 v8 manual.

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hi to all,

Been a while since I've post anything as I have been a busy body building two track cars for friends of mine, so the progress on the beemer has been slow...
However I got stuck in to it about 6 weeks ago and she's getting there, few issues with the engine build/modifications but soon she'll be back together, I'll post some pics soon and what I've been up to....

Steve

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

BMWE36V8 wrote:Hi to all,

Been a while since I've post anything as I have been a busy body building two track cars for friends of mine, so the progress on the beemer has been slow...
However I got stuck in to it about 6 weeks ago and she's getting there, few issues with the engine build/modifications but soon she'll be back together, I'll post some pics soon and what I've been up to....

Steve
Hi Steve,

Looking forward to seeing your progress, have you gone with the 4.8/5L stroked engine?

My M62 now has a pair of TD04 Turbo manifolds almost complete, so looking for info on reducing compression, planning on pulling the heads off shortly to inspect, can anyone suggest a company who supplies thicker gaskets?

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hi Iain,

I have gone the stroker route, the capacity I have ended up with is 4733cc,
I used the crank and rods from the S62 M5 engine, I have also used M5 cams, valves, valve springs, retainers etc, I have also raised the compression to 11:1....

I have also found some interesting stuff about the S62 vs M62 engine, things that are interchangeable and bits that aren't, also bits can be made to work with a bit of thought....

I'm also in the process of remake the entire exhaust system, manifolds to the back box, so exciting times.... hopefully... probably wont get it back on the road this year, so wont dyno it until March time next year, I'll keep you posted on my progress...

I have built 290hp N/A 205gti and a 300+hp 1600 Turbo Honda civic for a couple of friends, so need to get on track with them....LOL

Steve.

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Iain,

You can skim the pistons by 1.0mm as they protrude from the block 0.5mm and use the head gasket from a late M62 fitted to the range rover, there steel and are 2.4mm thick...

Steve.

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

Steve,

Well done, your research has paid off! Can't wait to hear it running, what inlet are you planning to run?
BMWE36V8 wrote:Iain,

You can skim the pistons by 1.0mm as they protrude from the block 0.5mm and use the head gasket from a late M62 fitted to the range rover, there steel and are 2.4mm thick...

Steve.
Great info, I didn't realise the RR was thicker again, I've seen 1.7mm & 2mm available but not the 2.4mm.

I've also been told that fitting the M60 crank shortens the stroke by 2mm and the same as removing 1mm from the top end. I think this is the combination I'll go for as I want to run enough boost but not race fuel, hoping to keep it on 97Ron.

Is it possible to run the M62 Timing gear on the M60 crank? I know you have swapped them across before but to gain compression not loose it!

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

Steve, Range Rover wise all I can find are the 2.07mm gaskets, any suggestions where to find the thicker gaskets.

Also are the head bolts on these engines reusable? Or are they stretch bolts?

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

I have used Victor Reinz gaskets and there are steel so don't crush and have measured them in several places with an average of 2.4mm (all around the combustion ring area...

The head bolts are of a stretch style so need replacing...

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

BMWE36V8 wrote:I have used Victor Reinz gaskets and there are steel so don't crush and have measured them in several places with an average of 2.4mm (all around the combustion ring area...

The head bolts are of a stretch style so need replacing...
Thanks Steve, ill look up Reinz Data sheet and see what I can find.

I know a lot of people follow this thread, I've a 6speed V8 Manual Box, 88k miles forsale at the moment, complete with stick, linkage/ remote & propshaft.

Drove the car personally myself so can vouch for its condition.

If anyone is interested drop me an email - benzini(at)hotmail.co.uk

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hi,

Its been a while since I've posted anything, I will post some more details of what I have done to the engine but I would just like to share the final dyno numbers.... 406hp@6500rpm and 396lb/ft@4000rpm.... 8) 8) 8)

Jonyboy01

Re: m60/m62 itbs adapter kit

Post by Jonyboy01 »

Iain wrote:
Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:24 pm
For anyone that is interested i have a contact who is supplying M60/M62 to S62 M5 Throttle bodies conversion kits.

Mine should be Arriving any day. The kit includes -

2 adapter plaes
20 o-rings - 16 to use and 4 spares
Screws to assebly the flanges to cyl.head and throttles to flanges
Kit for helicoiling M7-treads to M6 in cyl.head

Drop me a PM if you would like his contact details.

Iain
Hey my name is Jonathan don’t know how old this post is but I have m60 motor and looking to do this I want some details on how to be able to buy this my phone number is (203) 666-0375 I’m from America state of CT

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”