ignition timing with edelbrock 500

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

greasemonk

ignition timing with edelbrock 500

Post by greasemonk »

hi all,i am new to the forum ,my car is a tr7 3.5 V8.i built this 26yrs ago and am just giving the old girl a bit of a revamp.i have an edelbrock 500 with a JWR offenhauser manifold on its way from RPI to replace the twin SU setup.the rover SD1 lump is pretty much standard apart from moderately raised compression ratio and a Kent mild road cam.ignition is by the old rover electronic distributor body with a luminention system fitted.the timing is set at 8 degrees btdc. the vacuum advance still connected and working.would much appreciate any advice the forum can give me on setting up the carburation and ignition systems to maximise efficiency..many thanks..greasemonk..

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I wrotes these two articles ages ago, I have changed my mind about one or two things but they will be a good start for you....

Carb stuff...
http://how-to-build-a-pilgrim-sumo.wiki ... ing-system

Ignition stuff (after the bit on braided hoses)...
http://how-to-build-a-pilgrim-sumo.wiki ... by-members

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

Which bits have you changed your mind on Pete?

Just so i can update my copies for when i finally get around to building my engine

greasemonk

Post by greasemonk »

thankyou sidecar,those guides are most helpfull,cheers greasemonk..

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Pocket rocket wrote:Which bits have you changed your mind on Pete?

Just so i can update my copies for when i finally get around to building my engine
With regards to the carb gumph I now think that the same rod and jet setup won't work for all sizes of Rover engine. The setup given in the link works for the 3.5 engine but the larger engines can run a leaner setup. The AFR will be the same it's just that the carb needs to be setup leaner to achieve the ratio's on the larger engines. The 3.9 engine seems to be the most tricky to setup!

With regards to the ignition stuff I now think that it might be possible to use the vac advance but it would have to be connected to the non-timed port, if you wanted 14 degrees at idle you would use the vac canister to give you 12 of thoses degrees, the other 2 coming from the static timing setup. The issue is that Rover/Lucas used lots of different canisters, some might work, some might not! I now run an MSD system with a MAP sensor so I could adjust all of this stuff until I get the setup that I needed. (I havn't bothered to do this yet thought!)

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

Thank you kindly :D

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

38" total @ 4000 rpm
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”