Rotating dizzy

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

steve b
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Rotating dizzy

Post by steve b »

It's been a long time since I was last on here :shock: but just spent quite a few quid on some rv8 bits mainly edelbrock 500 performer, manifold and Mallory distributor plus a few other odds and sods.
A couple of years ago I had a thermostat housing altered by a alloy welder so the outlet comes straight out not cranked like the standard or indeed the housing that comes with the carb/manifold kit.
Problem is the vacuum advance module on the side of the distributor is now in the way.
BIG question is can I just rotate the distributor so the vacuum module is say 45 degrees (ish) further anti-clockwise then move all the leads accordingly? thus solving the problem.
I had the thermostat housing altered to help with cooling as the radiator is quite low, this way the housing is the highest point in the cooling system(apart from the header tank).
Any help would be gratefully received.

thanks
steve

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

Get number 1 piston on TDC , and make sure rotor arm is pointing at number 1 plug lead in the dissy cap. Then remove the dissy noting that the rotor will swing back anti clockwise about 30 degrees.

Position the dissy where you want it to go, re-position the plug leads in the cap (ie move them around) so that the rotor arm again points to number 1 lead when you re-insert the dissy back into the timing cover housing.

When you put the dissy back in make sure the rotor is 30 degrees back from where it will turn to when the drive gear on the end of the dissy shaft engages the cam gear.

The get your timing light out and set the idle advance, then check the total advance (make sure vacuum pipe is disconnected and plugged when you do this).

steve b
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by steve b »

Thanks mate that helps a lot should get me out of a pickle :)

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

If the dizzy is a mallory dual point distributor - don't waste your time fitting it, they eat condensors.

Sounds like you have been shopping at RPI?
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Eliot wrote:If the dizzy is a mallory dual point distributor - don't waste your time fitting it, they eat condensors.

Sounds like you have been shopping at RPI?
I made the mistake of buying a Unilite. It ate the dizzy cap and rotor arm. Very odd.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

steve b
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by steve b »

Sounds like you have been shopping at RPI?[/quote]

No v8developments