Plumbing for JE front cover - bypass is blanked off?

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Plumbing for JE front cover - bypass is blanked off?

Post by moppit »

The engine I now have has a JE front cover but the bypass for the stat housing is blanked off - seems really odd - why would they do this?

I'm not really happy that the engine seems to take an age to warm up - should I just not worry and leave it (easy!) or if essential to sort this out where is the best place to tee the bypass from the stat housing into? Stat main feeds into the top of the rad and the output from the pump into the base of the rad if I understand correctly.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Plumbing for JE front cover - bypass is blanked off?

Post by mgbv8 »

moppit wrote:The engine I now have has a JE front cover but the bypass for the stat housing is blanked off - seems really odd - why would they do this?

I'm not really happy that the engine seems to take an age to warm up - should I just not worry and leave it (easy!) or if essential to sort this out where is the best place to tee the bypass from the stat housing into? Stat main feeds into the top of the rad and the output from the pump into the base of the rad if I understand correctly.
Other way round! The water pump sucks from the bottom of the rad. The stat bypass would normally go into the pump suction to ensure a minimum flow of water while the stat was closed. You can drill a small hole in the stat flange about 5mm to ensure that a little water flows when cold BUT.. More importantly to make sure any trapped air gets moved out straight away into the rad as soon as the engine is running.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Return to “Cooling Area”