Rover V8 aftermarket rocker pedestals

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Rover V8 aftermarket rocker pedestals

Post by ratwing »

These are on e-bay, does anyone have any opinions?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260823045560? ... EBIDX%3AIT

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Sounds very cheap if they really are billet and fully machined...

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

I emailed them on the 30th August asking for details on material etc. As yet no reply.

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

I got a reply, "Conforms to BS1474 so the grade is 6082-T6. Yes, manufactured on site to OE specification. No problems with these (Also sold as part of our rocker assemblies)."
Looks like they're worth considering then.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

manufactured on site to OE specification
Standard party line for all after market manufactures! Don't read too much into it - how do they know what the 'OE specification & tolerance' is... Land Rover won't have told them.

I brought some rockers with a similar part number and they were crap with bigger holes than the worn OE ones.

Just make sure you measure them before fitting.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

These are the pedestals, not the rockers but I take your point.
However, they come with a money back guarantee so I'll get a set and keep my fingers crossed.
There was a set of used pedestals on ebay just ended but the seller couldn't say if they were distorted or not.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Yes, I knew you were talking about the pedestals, I was referring to the fact the pedestals had a part number similar layout - 6 numbers - to the crap rockers which I brought so wouldn't surprise me if they are the same manufacturer?

No harm buying and measuring them and returning them if they don't measure up.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I don't quite get why anyone would even make aftermarket pedestals, they don't wear out unlike other components, there must be hundreds of sets of worn out but complete rocker shafts kicking about which will still have decent pedestals.

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

sidecar wrote:...there must be hundreds of sets of worn out but complete rocker shafts kicking about which will still have decent pedestals.

I would have thought so too but people selling complete used assemblies (on ebay etc) don't seem keen to strip them to make sure the pedestals aren't oval.
I bought a set of the billet pedestals in the end, they measure up the same shaft height & thickness as the originals and are a good fit on the shafts so fingers crossed they'll be ok.
Whilst measuring my old pedestals for comparison I discovered some were bent too, what I mean is the shaft hole centre line was no longer parallel with the base - I'd love to know what causes all this distortion.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

ratwing wrote:
sidecar wrote:...there must be hundreds of sets of worn out but complete rocker shafts kicking about which will still have decent pedestals.

I would have thought so too but people selling complete used assemblies (on ebay etc) don't seem keen to strip them to make sure the pedestals aren't oval.
I bought a set of the billet pedestals in the end, they measure up the same shaft height & thickness as the originals and are a good fit on the shafts so fingers crossed they'll be ok.
Whilst measuring my old pedestals for comparison I discovered some were bent too, what I mean is the shaft hole centre line was no longer parallel with the base - I'd love to know what causes all this distortion.
I have also seen shafts that are bent! Like you said it would be interesting to know what has caused this, I'm not even sure that screwing down one pedestel bolt fully one at a time would result in bending the shaft. (Even if it would not be a very clever way of fitting the shafts!)

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

What I meant was the pedestal now leans slightly towards one end of the engine so if I crushed it to get a shaft in and bolted the single pedestal down, the shaft wouldn't be parallel to the head.
The old shafts are still straight and measure circular where they went through the pedestal so how did the pedestals 'bend' and go oval? One of life's great mysteries I suppose...

Return to “Engines Area”