Shortest possible gearbox for the RV8

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

sven

Shortest possible gearbox for the RV8

Post by sven »

Hi alll

I am new to this forum, and are planning to shoehorn a Rv8 into a suzuki SJ413 off-roader.

I have a 3,9 V8 and have started assembling a Volvo gearbox with a custom bellhousing., Here I have a little issue... Altough this becomes a short nice package, the clutch disc is a bit small under the rover pressureplate.

Have anyone here had the issue of needing a super short gearbox for their conversion? I really would appreciate some inputs on how to get around this problem.

Thank you

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
can't you just fit a bigger clutch disc to match the rover pressure plate? helix clutches or many other custom clutch makers will do you a rover diameter clutch disc with the Volvo splines to fit the input shaft?? it that won't work get a tilton multi plate 7 1/4 race clutch with the right splines on the discs, but that would be a tad overkill.
otherwise the shortest thing I know of is a shorty powerglide http://www.coanracing.com/Catalog.asp?CatClass=01TR 18" bell housing face to the end of the tail shaft, it is a 2 speed auto though.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

If I am correct, on the SJ, the transfer box is 'remote', so a normal rear-wheel-drive transmission is what you want.

Have a look at the 4 speed transmissions from a Rover P5B or P6B. I don't know for sure, but I expect they are pretty short.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

sven

Post by sven »

The SJ transfer is "remote, yes, thats why I need a short transmission:)

Thanks for both tips:) I will look into both getting a custom clutch done and the P5 and 6 boxes:)

any other tips would still be appreciated:)

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

ChrisJC wrote:If I am correct, on the SJ, the transfer box is 'remote', so a normal rear-wheel-drive transmission is what you want.

Have a look at the 4 speed transmissions from a Rover P5B or P6B. I don't know for sure, but I expect they are pretty short.

Chris.
Only the P6 3500S had a 4 speed manual. And it's a pretty nasty box.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

The Suz is a pretty light vehicle, I'd think that clutch is more then up to the task.
If you aren't happy with it, I am sure you can have the centre section of the clutch de-riveted and swapped over to a plate of your choice.
Cheers,
John

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

DaveEFI wrote:
ChrisJC wrote:If I am correct, on the SJ, the transfer box is 'remote', so a normal rear-wheel-drive transmission is what you want.

Chris.
Only the P6 3500S had a 4 speed manual. And it's a pretty nasty box.
Indeed, but, I suspect it is the shortest box available, and having seen the rest of the drivetrain on a 'Zook', I doubt if it will be the weakest link....... Having spent a lifetime with Land Rover products, the Suzuki bits look like the sort of thing you would find in a Meccano set!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

Do you really need to keep the SJ transfer box? A Land Rover series 2/3 gearbox/transfer box with V8 adapter ring is relatively short and can handle V8 power if driven carefully.
1972 Rover 2000TC M16 turbo
1975 Land Rover OM606 diesel
1984 Rover SD1 3500 Megasquirt powered

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”