SD1 Gearbox How does the clutch go on?

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jkm9694

SD1 Gearbox How does the clutch go on?

Post by jkm9694 »

Hello, Firstly thankyou for accepting me to the forums.

I am wondering if I have done this correctly or if I have made a mistake.

I am building a MG B GT V8, with a SD1 gearbox. The clutch arm came loose in the gear box so I have refitted it. I have fitted it with the ball joint "inside" the springy metal bit. Is this correct?

Joe

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Yep the ball end on the pivot goes under the spring and sits in the socket area in the clutch arm

jkm9694

Post by jkm9694 »

Hi, I dont know what is wrong, but something is. When the clutch arm is in place, is it supposed to be able to fall? as in the spring sits closer to the gerbox than the ball joint on the end?

If that is correct, I am having issues, I have got my car just about ready for a MOT. I have not driven it, nor put it into gear with the engine running. Now though, it does not "slip in" And the clutch feels soft.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

The arm locates on the release bearing and on the pivot and then connects to the push rod from the slave, so no, it shouldn't "fall".
From your description, it sounds like something has come out of it's slot/fitting and is causing your grief.

Can you get a camera in there to snap a view for the experts on here to diagnose for you?
Cheers,
John

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Sound like the slippers are not in place on the release bearing carrier.
These are usually difficult to get into place and you would know if you haven't fitted them. (Or they have dropped into the bell housing)

Also have you fitted the plastic clip that locates the pushrod to the release arm?
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

This link is interesting and may help?
http://www.westfield-build.com/builddiary0704.htm

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”