Axle end caps

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

vr6er

Axle end caps

Post by vr6er »

Hi All,

I have just bought a shortened SD1 axle and one of the things I'm looking at is the caps that fit over the axle ends, they cant by fully tightened to sit flush. Pics below

Now I'm thinking that space is the voice that the drum brake back-plate occupies. But I thought I’d check.

Does the plate sit behind or in front of the caps? Anyone shed any light on this?

If the plate goes behind how easy is it to remove the halfshaft to fit a spacer (i'm usine a disc conversion)?

Cheers
Rikko.

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

The drum brake backplate sits in the gap between the axle shaft and the end of the axle housing.. When I did my rear disc conversion I cut the backplate right down so that the remains of it just acted as a spacer to fill out the gap.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Robrover wrote:The drum brake backplate sits in the gap between the axle shaft and the end of the axle housing.. When I did my rear disc conversion I cut the backplate right down so that the remains of it just acted as a spacer to fill out the gap.
Yup - that's the normal way. The half shafts are very easy to remove and replace - they just pull out by hand
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

vr6er

Post by vr6er »

Thanks guys. I dont have the disc backplates so I'll have to make some spacers up. Anyone know the thickness of the brake backplates?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

The drawings I did for my disc brake conversion says 2.35mm. It could be 0.1" given the age of the SD1.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

vr6er

Post by vr6er »

Thanks Dave.

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”