General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Eddie 500 from 3.5 into a 4.6

Post by Dixie6789 »

hi everyone

I have a 3.5 Vitesse motor with a Eddie 500 on top of a performer manifold. It seems to run perfectly.

I am planning on putting this set up straight on to my 4.6 which has 10.1 C/R and a Stump Puller cam and dizzy.

I have asked the guru "Sidecar" if he has any advice, but because my motor is so different to his, the settings he has are not relevant to my motor.

Is there any reason why I cant put this carb straight onto the 4.6? I will adjust the idle screws as detailed by Pete in his excellent write up.

thanks Mark

Mark

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

No none at all, but you'll need to rejet it. Best bet is to buy Edelbrock's jetting kit and start trying different combinations of jets, springs, rods etc. It's easier if you have an AFR meter, or access to a dyno, but it can also been done by trial and error on the road. Like others, I too found the Edelbrock jetting chart pretty useless.

I have a 500 on my 4.6 (with a Crane cam, Buick heads and Scorcher dissy) and it has performed faultlessly since setting it up more than 8 years ago now. Sounds sensational too.

By memory I think I used the Silver Spring, 67/55 rods [1463], 086 primaries and 092 secondaries with the accel pump rod in the bottom hole.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Robrover wrote:No none at all, but you'll need to rejet it. Best bet is to buy Edelbrock's jetting kit and start trying different combinations of jets, springs, rods etc. It's easier if you have an AFR meter, or access to a dyno, but it can also been done by trial and error on the road. Like others, I too found the Edelbrock jetting chart pretty useless.

I have a 500 on my 4.6 (with a Crane cam, Buick heads and Scorcher dissy) and it has performed faultlessly since setting it up more than 8 years ago now. Sounds sensational too.

By memory I think I used the Silver Spring, 67/55 rods [1463], 086 primaries and 092 secondaries with the accel pump rod in the bottom hole.

I totally agree that using an AFR is the way to go but I do think that it is quite unlikely that your setup will be correct for the OP's engine, it might seem OK just when driving around but that is not really good enough, in the same way that the out of the box settings seem OK to many people when they fit it to a 3.5 engine even though the carb will over fuel most 3.5 engines by a large degree.

As an example of how different each engine can be your setup is 8.3% leaner that base on cruise whilst my setup is twice as lean at 16% (AFR at 14.5-15:1)

Your acceleration circuit is 6.8% leaner than base whilst mine runs the stock setting for this circuit. (ARF at 12-12.5:1)

My WOT setup is basically an 80 secondary jet and that gives an AFR of 12.5-12.8:1.

BTW I’m not trying to ‘knock’ you in any way as you are just offering up help! :)

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

I had the eddy 500 on my 4.0L engine quite a few years back. I changed to a 4.6 with the same settings and had flat spots really quite bad.
You will need to set it up properly I think.

Mark

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dixie6789 »

One of my contacts has used the following in a previous 4.6.

65 x 47 rods with 83 jets in both primary and secondary positions.

I have Carb calibration kit no 1486, but it only has .057,.062,.063,.068 and .067x.055 rods in it, doesn't have .065.

Can you buy this rod or do I have to make one?

ta Mark
Mark

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”