Rover V8 heater connections

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mickyf

Rover V8 heater connections

Post by mickyf »

Car is a '58 Wolseley with a SD1 Rover 3.5 and 5 speed box.Last owner(who dod the conversion)removed all remnants of the original heater.I have just bought an aftermarket heater from T7 Design.Looking at the rear of the engine there are 2 pipe connections at the rear above the backplate that are joined with a short pipe.Are these the original heater connections?If they are its gonna be a tight squeeze to fit pipes to go through the bulkhead and will probably need pipes with 90 degree angles.
TIA
Mick

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Yes, those are the heater connections. Just plumb them into the heater matrix (which will always be hot so you need a system to divert air away from it, or you need a valve in the pipe too, which means you need to make sure your setup has a thermostat bypass).

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Thanks for the reply.I've bought one of the taxi type heater valves to control the flow(I hope).

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Well I've got the heater matrix fitted in the car.I can't simply plumb it directly through the bulkhead into the outlets at the rear of the head as I need to install this taxi type in-line shutoff valve which will need a reasonably direct path back through the bulkhead via a solid(i.e not stranded) cable.This means I think I'll have to come out of the back of the head with 90 degree pipes(well on one pipe at least) then 90 degree again to bring the plumbing forward over the top of the engine to insert the valve so the cable will operate it in a reasonably straight line.Has anyone any suggestions how I can make the pipe rigid enough so the cable actually opens and closes the valve instead of just moving the pipe?Thought of maybe using some sort of copper pipe arrangement so I could solder it to a bracket that could be fixed to the top of the engine?Should the valve be fitted to any of the outlets in particular or will either do?Sorry if it sounds like garbage,I hope I have explained it correctly.
TIA
Mick

Denis247
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Denis247 »

Must the Taxi type valve be rubber pipe mounted both sides?, can't one side be mounted direct either onto the head or heater matrix?
I have something very similar on my Lotus, a solid cable operating the heater valve, rubber in rubber out, but the rubber pipe on one side is so short there's no flexing, and the balve works ok. My early mini had a similar arrangement, but nere the valve was actually mounted on the cylinder head.
Lotus Elite 4.6 Spydersport 'Donington' conversion

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Well those at rear of engine are far too low(car is a 1954 Wolseley 4/44).Will ponder if I can get it on one of the heater hoses.What are the 2 large hose connections facing forwards on the central block below the carbs?Pipes just sealed off on my engine.Are they no good for heater?Took a pic but cant see how to put it on here.

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

I have a 90 degree heater take off fitting which bolts to the back of the intake manifold, any good?

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Could well be.Any chance of a pic of it?First time I've had nothing to do with one of these engines before so a bit in the dark.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

One of the blanked off pipes is the heater return. It's just a pipe bolted to the underside of the inlet manifold. So you can use where it went to on the water pump housing.
The other blanked off one is the thermostat bypass. I guess there is no thermostat if it's blanked off.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Hi Chris.So is thats the heater return which of the 2 at rear of engine is heater feed?Why are there two at the rear if the return is below the carbs?Why would the last owner remove the thermostat?I am getting even more confused now LOL.
Mick

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

We need pics!

There are two pipes at the back of the manifold. One is a short stub on a little flange plate. This is the feed to the heater. It returns via the other pipe under the manifold to the water pump.
The small stub on the front of the manifold (to the distributor side of the thermostat housing) is the thermostat bypass and should also go to the water pump.

But there are millions of variations on this, so really some pics would help be sure!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Thanks Chris.I'll get pics and try and figure how to upload them tomorrow.The 2 outlets I originally mentioned are well down at the rear of the engine???just above the area where the gearbox is bolted to the engine????As I said they are just joined together with a length of hose.It will certainly make it easier if the stubs I should be using are just on the manifold.
Mick

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Photo shows 90 degree connector fitted to rear of intake manifold behind carburettor flange on Edelbrock manifold. The Rover manifold has a straight connector here. This part came off a Buick 215 manifold.

Image[/img]

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Hopefully this is a link to a pic.You should see the pipe in a "U".Besides these the only other outlet I can see at the rear of engine is the one with a bolt in the end(rather a lot of these on this car),what is this one for?
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... b7bf03.jpg

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

I clicked the "direct" link on photobucket,should I have clicked "html" instead?

Return to “Cooling Area”